[Dailydrool] new puppy ... sleeping issues

Brooke Blew bblew42 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 11:36:58 PDT 2008

as some of you know, i am a new mommy to moses ... the CUTEST, most SWEETEST basset puppy EVER (biased, i know).

we brought moses home last saturday and housebreaking is going well. he's have some accidents of course, but we are definitely on the right track.

the only issue we've had trouble with is in our own minds. we are so torn on when to use the crate. before bringing moses home, we were sure we wanted to have him sleep in the crate at night as we've heard it is good for him, good for us, good for later on when we travel w/ him or need to board him ... but as i am sure many of you feel as well, it's so hard to put that warm pile of wrinkles and ears in the crate each night knowing he will sit awake and cry miserably for hours (he gets out for potty breaks a few times a night of course). so ... we've tried the crate a couple nights ... and have let him sleep with us a couple of nights. he of course prefers the latter. he's so cuddly and loving. and he sleeps so soundly w/ us ... doesn't even stir for a potty break.

moses is crated for about 4- 5 hours on some days during the work week (not consecutive hours ... our jobs thankfully allow us to go home throughout the day and spend time/play  with him and breakup crate-time). he does pretty good in the crate during these times. so if he is "practicing" crate-time during the day ... is it OK for him to sleep in our bed at night? or are we just being selfish because we want him to sleep in our bed ... because he's soft and cute and snores like an angel?

is it possible to have him sleep w/ us and then as he grows up ... transition him to a doggie-bed in our room? or will he always demand our bed?

we are so in love w/ him already and just want to do the the right thing for the right reasons. any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks,
Brooke