[Dailydrool] Your loss and ours

Richard Schmeltz richard_schmeltz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 25 13:54:01 PDT 2008

My heart goes out to all those who've recently walked a beloved friend and companion to the near side of the bridge, then had to let them go on alone to find joy on the other side. My wife Patty and I share your loss. We recently lost our beloved friend and companion. Seeger had been with us for 16 of his 18 years. Yes, 18 is an extraordinary life span for a basset. That fits. He was an extraordinary fella. He loved life, and loved people, and had the patience of a saint (except, perhaps, when it came to food). I'm not exaggerating when I say that my granddaughter, who's grown up in our home, cut her teeth on Seeger's ears.

Seeger outlived 7 other rescue dogs we'd adopted since he came to us. I still can't believe his time finally came.

I guess we thought he'd live forever ...

--RichS