[Dailydrool] Sleep Walking

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Sep 25 19:11:38 PDT 2008

On occasion one of my boys, Grady, does the same thing - he is my macho boy.
I know that most dogs' night vision is not super, but bassets should be
operating by scent.  I don't know for sure why they do this but I know that
the sound of my voice is the key to snapping them out of it.  When I call
his name and reassure him, he comes in wagging and acting really embarrassed
that he didn't recognize me.  While it is scary the first time it happens,
it is reassuring to me that an "unknown" person or thing at night will
elicit that kind of response.   I know that my boys would rip someone apart
would laid a hand on me or threatened me in any way.  And the sound of that
growl would scare the beejeebers out of any sane person.

Years ago, a police officer came to my door about 10 PM.  Needless to say,
my anxiety was pretty high since my son wasn't home from work yet and I was
fearing the worse.  My dogs went absolutely ballistic - I had to put leads
on them and crate them so I could even hear what the guy was telling me.  I
think the poor man was scared I was going to let the dogs loose on him - he
actually had his hand on his gun.  As it turned out, it was a courtesy call
to inform us that they were chasing a man on foot in the area and to be sure
our doors were locked.  But then he said I probably didn't have much to
worry about as long as I kept the dogs with me.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com