[Dailydrool] Thanks and news on Abner's eyes

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Sep 26 05:36:44 PDT 2008

Thanks so much for everyone who has been slinging drool and sending advice in Abner's direction. Don't let it stop yet, 'cause he's still looking pretty awful. But at least we have an appointment on Monday with the eye doctor, who is out on Fridays or we might have seen him sooner.

Either Ab's in real pain or the drool slung on his occipital bone is really working. Yesterday he let me put medication in his eyes, which are both looking pretty bad right now. But I don't think this is the right medication, because it's not really doing much. Hopefully we'll have a change on Monday. Our regular vet could have given me a new prescription, but it would have been very expensive, and then the eye guy might have given us something else anyway.

If anyone else ends up having trouble giving eye drops, here's what I've been doing. I get him in a tight space (for us it's crosswise in a narrow hall between our downstairs bedrooms). I offer him a favorite dried-duck breast treat, and quickly do the deed while he's not looking. If you wanted, you could probably do this in a crate that has a top that opens, but Abner became crate aggressive when he had his back surgery, so I try only to use the crate for travel. We need to get him in the crate in our car, and I don't want him to fear it.

Now watch, today he'll object to this system. Bassets are always thinking up new ways to outwit their humans.

But please keep that drool coming until Monday.
Pam, with Drew, food slave and nurse to the Dashing Bassets