[Dailydrool] Stinky Lips (lipfold pyoderma)

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 09:37:26 PDT 2008

Mitchell gets this. It is a kind of pyoderma(Lip-Fold Pyoderma), and you
really would benefit from a good antibiotic AND putting something on the
area like Pyoben Gel (which you can get once you check your bank balance) at
the Vet, or you can go to the drugstore and get some acne meds like Oxy-10
or whatever it is, comes in pads that are already soaked with the
medication. Gently wipe the area with the pads a couple of times a day. It
tastes nasty so don't be surprised if  he hates it. It will help a lot. I
know-- his lips smell like a sewer.

We discovered this when Mitchell had it and we thought it was his teeth. He
was all decked out and anesthetized when Doc went to open his mouth and saw
those flews. We  were able to really clean them up because he was out, but
since then when he starts smelling rank I get some Keflex (Cephalexin) from
Doc and start cleaning the lips with acne meds. You want something that has
benzoylsomething or other in it. (Wait. Lemme look on my tube of pyoben.
That's really the best.)

BENZOYL PEROXIDE is the ingredient you are looking for on the acne meds.
Pyoben Gel is 5% Benzoyl Peroxide. It's just really expensive.

I've had a lot of experience with this.Mitchell gets it about 3 or 4 times a
year.

MomPerson(Bev)