[Dailydrool] More questions about spaying

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 22:27:02 PDT 2008

Hi, Debbie,

The spaying issue is a complicated one.

For years, I routinely spayed my bitches by about 6-7 months of age. I also required, in my purchase contracts, that my puppy buyers spay/neuter their Bassets by that age.

Over the past several years, I have become more aware of research that links some potential deleterious effects to early spay/neuter. These include changes in long-bone development which are not just cosmetic, but may have long-term effects on the dogs' soundness and the stability of their joints. It also includes potential long-term effects on organs and the functioning of the dog's immune and endocrine systems.

As a result, I have changed my own practices and now require my puppy buyers to spay/neuter by 14 months of age, with a recommendation that they delay the surgery to allow a bitch through her first cycle, and boys to come to early sexual maturity. At the same time, I recognize that keeping an intact bitch or dog to that age is challenging in some ways. I am willing to take back a young bitch in her first season for boarding during her season. I'm also careful to counsel owners on proper management of the bitch in season and the maturing male to avoid accidental pregnancy, and untoward behavior. Finally, if the owners choose to spay/neuter their Basset prior to sexual maturity, of course I accept that decision on their part. But I do want them to have the information they need to make an informed decision about the health of their Basset.

As far as the long-term decision to keep a bitch or dog intact, I don't favor this unless the Basset is going to be bred, preferably in the context of being shown and evaluated for quality and suitability as a sire/dam. While most early seasons are fairly unremarkable and safe, as a bitch ages, the likelihood of pyometra (a potentially deadly uterine infection), mastitis, and mammary cancer increase. For males, the likelihood of testicular cancer, testicular torsion and other problems of the reproductive organs increases, as does the likelihood of dog-on-dog aggression in the presence of bitches in season. These are problems that require a lot of vigilance, being aware at all times of where you are "in the calendar" to track potential hot spots of disease, and a very active management of dogs/bitches to ensure no accidental pregnancies. Most pet owners lack the knowledge and regular exposure to recognize and manage these risks. Given that, spaying and neutering young adults is, in
my view, the safest and most responsible course of action for pet owners.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about this. I haven't read the whole string of your question and responses, I'm afraid. I'm at Basset Hound Nationals, and my mother had a stroke today and I'm making arrangements to fly out to see her, and there's just a lot going on - but the subject line caught my eye, so I thought I would weigh in briefly while I could.

Take care,

Sylvie McGee
sylviemcgee at comcast.net
HeavenScent Bassets