[Dailydrool] More questions about spaying

DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 18:45:41 PDT 2008

I'm the original poster who was nervous about having her dog spayed.  I appreciate all the answers I've received privately and through the Drool.  I am just so nervous about this, and I have done something that I may have cause to regret - I Googled spaying and read up on it.  What a mistake this may have been, as a little knowledge can be a terrifying thing.

Thank goodness I have the Drool to return to for clarification.  So to the knowledgeable members of the Drool, is it true that "dogs neutered before puberty tend to have longer legs, flatter chests, and narrower skulls than intact dogs of their breeds because the hormones that regulate sexual activity also interact with hormones that guide growth of muscles, bones, and tendons"?  And if so - is that a bad thing or is it just a cosmetic thing?  I read that these physical differences can place more stress on joints and can cause problems for active dogs, which of course Zoe being a puppy she is quite an active dog.

My vet advised me to have the surgery done before Zoe was six months old, which she will be on 10/16.  I've already scheduled the surgery and asked off from work.  I don't ever remember being this nervous about a procedure before.  One writer told me to grit my teeth and git 'er done, and I'm sure that is excellent advice.

I'm sorry to keep bringing up this subject and don't want to monopolize the Drool, I guess I'm just working through my worries by voicing them aloud.

Debbie (maybe instead of Drool I just need a stiff drink)