[Dailydrool] Spaying and When

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon Sep 29 10:39:32 PDT 2008

As a breeder, I keep the males and my counter-part, Pat keeps the females.
Because we breed, our dogs are all intact until they are no longer going to
be bred.  At that point, we spay or neuter but these dogs remain a part of
our family for the rest of their lives.  So, why do we spay or neuter a dog
who is going to live with us?  To avoid future health problems.  In the
females, this includes false pregnancies and possible mastitis (just had a
female spayed because her false pregnancies always ended up with nasty
mastitis), breast cancer (we have lost one after surgery for this) and
pymometria.  For the males, testicular cancer, prostate cancer and recurrent
prostate infections (we have had three older males that we neutered for this
reason).  Yes, surgery is surgery and no one is more nervous about surgery
than Pat & I are . but it is a calculated risk.

Regarding spaying/neutering of young dogs.  When we sell a dog as a pet, our
contract includes spaying/neutering before 1 year of age.  I have had spayed
females before I started showing.  One I decided to wait until after her
first heat cycle.  During her first heat cycle at age 9 months, a LARGE dog
jumped our fence and bred her (I could not get them separated).  Our vet did
hormone injections to cause her to be unable to support any fertilized eggs
(essentially extended her heat cycle).  She was spayed 3 months later and
almost died.  She likely had VWD, but this was before it was recognized and
tested.  Another female I purchased from a breeder as a pet was 7 months old
when she was spayed.  She developed like her unsprayed littermates, was of
the same size and structure as her littermates, did not have any bone
problems and lived to be 14.  Every female puppy we have placed in pet homes
has been spayed before their first heat cycle.  None of them are any
different in size, structure, bone, height or weight than their littermates.
Every male puppy we have placed in pet homes has been neutered by 9 months.
All of them are similar to their littermates in size, structure, bone,
height and weight.

If your dog is not going to be bred, spay and neuter.  From my perspective,
I don't see a problem with a spay or neuter after six months.  Based on my
experience, I wouldn't wait until after the first cycle - accidents can
happen - I know since I was right there when that dog jumped my fence.  That
male was very large and very determined.  My female, like any female who is
at the breedable point in the cycle, was more than willing.  The male's
hormones are at their peak at about 7 months .  Delaying neutering past 9
months may result in development of some of the more objectionable male
behaviors, such as humping and marking, especially if it is a multiple dog
household.

Just my opinion.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com