[Dailydrool] Second Thoughts About Spaying. . .

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:53:18 PDT 2008

Debbie,

Over 20 years ago, we acquired a 7 year old female cockapoo from some friends.  After we got we realized she had not been spayed.  We kept putting it off, until she developed a severe uterine infection at the age of 12 or 13.  In a matter of hours she went from normal to incredibly lethargic, barely able to walk.  Her intire body was hot to the touch.  I took her to the vet immediately.  They diagnosed the infection, and suggested an emergency spay.  Once they opened her up, they found tumors on her uterus and cysts on her ovaries, as well as the infection.  She was in surgery for an hour and a half.  She could have easily died.  Also, I had a bill for probably 4 to 5 times what a regular spay would have cost.  She was in the hospital for several days. If I had gotten her spayed when we first got her, we could have avoided that whole mess.  I decided I would never make that mistake again. I hope that eases your mind.

Mary Lee