[Dailydrool] Tricolor?

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Apr 28 06:16:10 PDT 2009

I was so proud of our nervous Nellie, Abner, last night. The town offers
free rabies shots once a year, and since Abner was more or less due (at
least the town said he was due, though the vet wouldn't have), we took him
to the fire department to get his shot. A crowd of people and a whole pack
of dogs of all breeds and mixes were there before us. Abner, who once got
bitten by a strange dog, was rather nervous at first, but once we got in
line, he settled down and did well. He simply lay down for much of the wait
and ignored the huskie behind us, about whom he had many doubts. The tiny
dog in front of us was no problem, they even started to make friends.

At one point, a youth came up to us and asked some details about Abner.
Using the paperwork the town had provided, he filled in a form. Too bad he
didn't ask one more question. Abner is now a tri-color: Black, white, and
gray! What do they teach these kids about dogs? How did he miss the mahogany
brown on Ab's ears? Sure it was dusk, but was it that dark?

Abner is sad about this. He's never before thought of himself as being gray,
just two shades of white. I guess he's officially a senior now.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets