[Dailydrool] houndy quirks

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:28:01 PDT 2009

There are so many strange things that my bassets do. Some of them (I have
learned from the drool) are breed quirks. Some just done by my boys. Here's
a few that came to mind....

Cowboy spins and digs when preparing to lie down. Rupert does not.

They have a bark-off almost daily. With Cowboy howling and Rupert barking
intermittently so there isnt even a second of silence.
HowlBarkHowlBarkHowlBark....you get the idea.

Rupert loves hangy things and will jump at anything that hangs down within
his reach (bathrobe ties, necklaces, etc)

If the couch is full of people, Cowboy will pace and whine as he tries to
eye out the perfect spot to settle. Usually someone has to move and adjust a
pillow for him in order to settle him down. Rupert just bumrushes the couch
plodding over anyone in his way until he finds a good lap to settle in on.

When they want walks, Cow starts pouting and sighing while Ru grabs leashes
and collars outta the toy box and throws them at us. He literally flings the
collars at us. Once you pick up the collar or leash he thinks he won and
starts barking and jumping around. Then after they are leashed up, Ru grabs
Cowboy's leash and drags him to the front door where they bark until we
leave.

Rupert slinks off the couch like a slug, slowly oozing onto the floor.
Sometimes he stops part way and just stays put with rear end on couch, front
end on ground.

Rupert will lie down anywhere on the couch even if there isnt room for him.
When he eventually falls over the edge he makes no effort to catch himself
but glares at us for not catching his fall.

Since 99% of the time Rupert is hogging me, Cowboy will watch until Ru's
asleep then creep over to me ever so quietly and give kisses in exchange for
bellyrubs. He periodically glances over to make sure Ru is still sleeping.
Should Rupert wake up, we (Cow and I) both know the secret love affair is
over b/c Ru quickly plods over and pushes Cow outta the way.

Love these boys, they are continuously brighten my days.

Kacy w/Cow and Ru
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/531112
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/799430