[Dailydrool] step-in harness

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Thu Apr 2 09:59:39 PDT 2009

Someone posted about step-in harnesses.  I don't think there is one perfect
harness for all dogs so you do have to go through some trial and error.  In
our case with Hank it has proved to be the best option.  Hank is not exactly
a calm dog.  Although he is on Phenobarbital for his seizures, he is still
an extremely reactive dog and goes crazy when he realizes it is walk time.
However, because he wants to go on the walk so badly he calmly stands and
helps me put on the step-in by placing his feet in the openings.  He knows
he doesn't get to go until the harness is on.  I like the step-in harness
because it is very secure and I think it has a calming effect on Hank during
the walks, kind of like a t-touch wrap.  Other things we tried and discarded
with Hank were- gentle leader - he hated it and would rub his nose on the
ground until it bled every time I used this halter.  Easy walk harness- OK
but has a tendency to slide off, not as secure.  In my opinion many
"special" behaviorally challenged dogs like Hank are too smart for their own
good.  It is their intelligence paired with bad genetics and multiple homes
(3 before we got him and foster failed with him) that makes them so
vulnerable.  However, since they are so smart, they do pick up on things
like this!

Lisa and the MN Woofers,

Ella Marie, Sidney & Hank