[Dailydrool] Humphrey's April Fool's Day Prank

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:50:23 PDT 2009

Humphrey pranked us all night long last night. To wit:

We fed him dinner. He ate dinner. Immediately afterwards, he sat down in
front of us, staring us in the eye and thumping his tail - his way of asking
for more.

So we gave him a little more food. This always satisfies him, and he settles
down. But not, apparently, on April 1st. He gobbles the food, sits down,
stares us in the eye, and thumps his tail.

When that fails to work, he goes back into the kitchen and counter cruises
until he knocks his food scoop onto the floor. It's metal. The floor is
tile. It's very noisy.

I put his food scoop back on top of the cabinets and tell him to settle
down. He waits for me to go back into the living room, and then begins to
slam his food bowl against the wall. His food bowl is porcelain. I rush into
the kitchen and put his food bowl on top of the cabinets with the scoop. I
tell Humphrey to settle down.

5 minutes later: staring. tail thumping. whining. I give him the rest of his
leftover ribs (meat only, no sauce) from the BBQ joint downstairs.

5 minutes later: same routine. I give him a carrot.

10 minutes later: he can't be serious. Can he? Well, he won't shutup. I give
him his favorite pig's ear. For some reason, he never chews this one, just
licks it.

Not good enough, apparently. Our food delivery comes, and he sits at his
Papa's side, softly whining. Kit takes pity and gives him a few pieces of
chicken schwarma. Humphrey comes over to me and tries the whining again. I
offer him some of my VERY spicy falafel. He takes a bite. And regrets it.
With a huff, he walks away and I finally feel relief.

4 hours later: bedtime. Humphrey's already asleep in his crate. I can't get
comfy; something's not right with my pillow. I dig around, and pull out a
soggy, much-licked pig's ear and a nub of a pig's hoof. From Humphrey's
crate comes a satisfied groan.

That little sh**.

Happy (belated) April Fool's Day, from Humphrey to all his basset buds.

-Rebecca, Kit, Humphrey & Professor Bix