[Dailydrool] Humphrey's Quirks

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:52:19 PDT 2009

Humphrey is a pretty quirky boy.

First, he seems to be taking a page from Morse's book, big-time. Last night
he had his third bath in as many weeks, as he's found a plethora of things
to roll in now that Central Park is thawing: fresh horse poop, old raccoon
poop, and, yesterday, squashed, fish-stinking earthworms that came up after
the spring rain.

He uses pillows, actually as pillows. He paws them into place and then
slumps down with his head resting on them. At the office, he'll arrange
pillows on the couch so his body is curled atop a big pillow and his head
propped on a smaller one.

He always knows when his favorite busboy is on duty at the BBQ restaurant
downstairs to give him his nightly brown bag of unsauced, deboned ribs. They
start smoking the ribs around 10 am every day, but Humphrey always waits
until 7:30 pm on the dot to give us 'the rib look'.

He loves to walk along wall tops like a little kid (he jumps up on his own,
but any wall over 2' tall, we pick him up at the end and place him gently
back on the ground). Once, he managed to scale the 6' stone wall that lines
the border of Central Park. He launched himself at it and, for a fraction of
a second, clung to the wall about 4' up, like a little basset Spider-Man,
and then quickly propelled himself to the top. All three of us stood there,
astonished at what he'd done. Kit quickly grabbed him and brought him back
to the sidewalk before he could try to jump off and hurt himself.

If he's trying to sleep in the living room and the TV or stereo is too loud,
he'll grumble loudly. If the offending noise isn't sufficiently decreased
after three grumbles, he huffs off to the bedroom and rearranges our
pillows.

Before and after every meal, he sprawls out on his belly on the ground, his
feet under his whithers, his knees in the air. This means we have to come
and scratch his butt, above his tail. When we do, he writhes around on the
ground, moaning and groaning. Then it's time to eat.

There are a lot more, but that's a pretty good start, I think.

Drool to all in need. We hope Delilah's brother Dexter is either located, or
is still with his adopter and is happy and healthy.

-Rebecca, Kit, Humphrey & Professor Bix, who has too many quirks to get into
(and none of them basset)