[Dailydrool] Percy's Eye/Blindness

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Sat Apr 4 09:05:25 PDT 2009

We have two dogs that are blind, or pretty much so. Sasha is blind from diabetes and Chester is pretty
much blind from untreated dry eye before we adopted him . Both of them went blind gradually, so it was not as upsetting. Their hearing and smell can compensate for the lack of sight. My advise would be to talk to him, alot. Kind of guide him with your voice. Just "this way, Percy".  Yesterday on our walk , the boys we kind of pulling to smell some tracks, and I wasn't paying attention, and Sasha was way down another trail. She looked so relieved when I called her over--
My mother's dachsund went blind suddenly from high blood pressure from kidney issues. He had a
horrible time the first few days, bumping into things, etc. After that, he did get better, but he liked to
have his halter and leash on and kind of be guided around. My mother also started guiding him with
her voice more. She was so upset by it she made him kind of panicked, I think. When she calmed down, he did a lot better.
When Sasha started going blind, someone emailed me this great website about blind dogs and
adopting blind dogs http://www.blinddogs.com//. It had some really good ideas that helped me
a lot.
Marilyn Briggs