[Dailydrool] More on Chronic Ear Infections

Pat Dill padill at starband.net
Sat Apr 4 07:47:50 PDT 2009

Sampson, whom we adopted last August from Tri-State Basset Hound Rescue, was
determined by the kennel vet to need a total ear canal ablation based on
them not having been able to control a chronic ear infection after almost
four months of oral and topical antibiotic treatment.  Tri-State offered to
have the surgery done before we adopted him, but we chose to bring him home
and address the issue with our own vet.

After examining Sampson, he explained to us what a serious and painful
operation the ear canal ablation is for a dog and suggested we had little to
lose by trying one more treatment.  He makes up a special ear wash that is
standard T8 Solution laced with Baytril, and he instructed us to use it
faithfully, morning and evening, for two months and to report his progress.
At that time, Sampson was rubbing and scratching his right ear endlessly and
yelped when we tried to clean it.  Two months later, the symptoms were
almost completely gone and the vet said that although there were still some
signs of bacteria in the ear it was definitely worth continuing.  He said
that if the ear is still infected the next time we bring her in he will
culture it.  If the bacteria are resistant by then to the Baytril, we can
try another antibiotic in the ear wash.  Sampson has gotten so used to the
procedure that he never troubles us about it.  Except for an occasional
tenderness in the affected ear if we rub it a bit too hard, he seems fine,
certainly not in need of surgery.

We are thrilled because we haven't had to subject him to an expensive and
painful operation.  It might be worth asking your vet about.

Does anyone else find the topical antibiotic with the really long plastic
"applicator" annoying?  Our guys seem to find that it tickles when you are
trying to stick it in their ear canals and even though it must be designed
to get more ointment inside, our guys fight it much harder than just
splashing in liquid ear wash and squishing it around.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Pat Dill
Proud to be loved by Rosie (I'm 14), Bailey (my ears are always filthy),
Sampson (my ears are feeling much better now) and Lucy (I'm still new here)