[Dailydrool] Basset quirks

Deborah Bernotas fourmainnurse at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 06:34:45 PDT 2009

 Thought I wold add to the list
We recently had an underground oil tank removed from our back yard. Now mind you the previous owners who placed the tank, had it placed just to the left of the bottom of the stairs.!!

    Once the tank was out and the ground brought back to grade, the bassets absolutely refused to walk over the unsettled ground, which necessitated a long detour around the ex-hole!
      Ashleigh always walks the same path into the house, in fact there is no grass on "her" path.....it will be pouring rain and she will go out of her way to walk on her path.  Of course the tank removal disturbed her route.   For the first few days she would stop before the 'hole' and give you the look.   Luckily she had adapted her route and now goes in and out without problem.
   The  whole operation has resulted in a small puddle at the bottom of the steps  when it rains and Neville will NOT step in the puddle.  He is a manly boy but apparently hates to get his paws wet.
   We are planning on adding a nice big deck and doggie door soon, so the little darlings will not have to cope with traveling wet and untamed territory.
  I just have to figure out how to make sure they do not do their business on the new deck!