[Dailydrool] basset quirks

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Apr 15 07:43:20 PDT 2009

Bubby (ATB 4/18/07) never met a stuffy toy he didn't love.  He would walk into the kids room and stare at the shelf where the stuffy toys were kept, until Amanda relented and gave him one.  She also had a pair of bear slippers, for a while anyway. Until he stole one.  He didn't usually destroy them unless they had a squeeker or had hard eyes, but he loved them.  Until one day he came upon an easter chick that peeped.  You would have thought that thing was demon possessed from the dirty looks he gave it.  Dropped it out of his mouth and backed away, never taking his eye off of it. He also loved his puppies.  Not the way that Moose loved pUpPiEs either.  He genuinely liked them, and played with them gently.  Clover couldn't stand the pups when they were weaned, but Bubby would intervene when she would try to bully them.  Smaller than Clover by many pounds he would physically step between them and give her the eye.  He would also stare at you until you complied with his desires.  WATER is empty, Bubby would stare; SUPPERTIME, Bubby would stare; BED TIME; Bubby would stare.  He also destroyed my crafting items if I left the room and ignored him for more than 15 minutes.

Clover is a nudger.  If you sit with your ankle on your knee, she will come and shove her nose in the hole and flip your foot into the air over and over until you give her attention.  She will also force her face between your knees until you spread 'em and pet her.  If all of that fails, she will flop on her side and whack the ground with her tail until you rub her tummy.  She has a very good human vocabulary.  We have to change what we call walks so that she doesn't know what we are talking about.  We used to say, "going for a walk" but then every time the word "walk" came up in conversation, she went nuts.  Then we called it the "waby walk" (she is the Baby-Waby) but she figured it out.  Now we say W.W. when trying to have a conversation about it but not do it.  When she wants a treat, she will pester you  until you tell her to show you what she wants, then lead you to whichever treat she wants and stand there staring at the counter or cupboard you keep it in.  NEVER gets into trouble, except for nasty bathroom trash, or spools of ribbon.  Will destroy spools of ribbon at every opportunity.  She is a percussionist, and always positions her tail where it will make the most noise, a stray newspaper, box, shoe, metal table leg, doesn't matter so long as she makes noise.

Rocky is a gifter, brings toys to us when he is happy, and he emulates his sire so much it is scary.  He is eternally happy.
Arthur is a nibbler and a groaner. He loves to nibble our ears, he croons himself to sleep, croons when you pet him, and when he has a good stretch...
Sassy is a prima-donna demon-diva princess bully, and a counter cruiser, and she bosses all her brothers.  She is the bell hound, and when crated at night must sing the jailhouse blues and get the rest to join her.
Channy is "dammit-dog" because she gets into trouble to get attention.  She is also the only basset I have ever heard of who wrinkles her nose to smile at you, while making the most awful keening noise you have ever heard.
Brutus tries to climb into my skin with me.  If he could be inside my skin I would have a 65 lb basset tumor hanging off the front of me. He is in love with little sister Sassy, who is 20lbs smaller, lets her shove him when he gets in her way. He also "Blaps" licking your breath in long and luxurious laps.  Sassy does this too but only because Brutus showed her how.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!