[Dailydrool] Looking for guidance- fostering

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Mon Apr 6 11:47:11 PDT 2009

Momslave chiming in by command of Nelly Belle (almost 8).  I am
all for fostering seniors!  Seniors are overlooked many times for those
cuter "younger" droolers

Nelly Belle who came from a puppy mill breeder and had lived for somewhere
around 7 years in a cage and was scared of everything.  The wire crate had to
be covered or she would shake in fear, there was no little spark in her eyes and she
had raging gum and ear infections.  I will never forget how bad she smelled that very
first day.

Fast forward  6 months (will be on the 17th)
If you didn't know better you would think that she has always been with me.
The trust and love she has for me is amazing.She is rarely snarky.   Even when
the yearling Sadie Maye is being a PIA to her the most you get out of her is a little warning growl.
Even though she is 8 (the new 4) she has the energy
to keep up with the younger droolers and joins in or starts the Basset 500 and the
Basset wrestlemania many times a day.

The day that Nelly Belle entered my life was truly a gift.  I failed at fostering the day
I rescued her.    There is nothing like seeing that spark come back
in their eyes or getting a glimpse of the puppy in them.  Nelly Belle seems to know that
I came into her life to show her what a real home and family is.  Nelly Belle has me
convinced that a family is just not complete unless you have a senior to love.

My advice is foster a senior.  There is no blessing greater than to be a foster failure
to a senior drooler.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang