[Dailydrool] Mango's vet visit

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 17:37:20 PDT 2009

Mango is settling in well, ate all her dinner, and is napping now that we are home from the vet.

I just realized I forget to have them run the senior panel when they did the draw for heart worm. Crap. Oh well. The vet agreed that 10 years was a reasonable guess for her age. We did a fecal, heartworm, and the distemper. She also flushed and cleaned her ears and gave me some otomax. They aren't really infected, but impacted and a little inflamed from messing with them. Her teeth actually look better since getting good food and no abscesses or major problems there. I hot packed and expressed the mass on her shoulder earlier today and got a ton of old blood, clots and some weird white granular stuff. Must be calcified goo that has been in there so long. It is about 1/2 or 1/3 the size it was. The one on her thigh is draining some too, but not nearly as large a pocket and that one is very tender, so more difficult to care for.

The surprise was the 5/6 heart murmur....the masses are all cutaneous, and not a real problem to remove but anesthesia with her age and the severe murmur makes it a question. With antibiotics and wound care, the masses can be managed, but the one is so tender I hate to just leave it. We go back to the vet, to see Tim on Tues ( her original appt) to discuss the plan. I will get the labs, recheck a urine, and she needs a chest xray to see the heart/lungs to begin to evaluate the murmur. She may need a cardiac ultrasound too, depending on what we see on the xray. I figured if the xray is a mess, there isn't a point to doing anything else.

I think she needs to have the mass on her leg removed, and what ever else she can tolerate, if we can do it with her heart. It's a comfort issue for her and with it draining it is a mess for her, the bedding, the house...it may improve, but it is painful for her on that leg to do anything and not really in a place that can be covered.

So that is the story....
Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango, coming attraction Bodhi
Ace, Maya, Sage, and waiting for a St. Bernard yet to be named...