[Dailydrool] Losing Miss Becky sorry bit long

beckyandgeorgie beckyandgeorgie at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 12 12:48:38 PDT 2009

Two days after my mom died at 92 and 2 months after Dazey ATB went I was thinking
I don't think I can stand life without a basset.  Well two days later in comes a son with a
box and in it was the tip of a white head and it was Miss Becky. We all agreed for once
that her name should be Miss Becky after my mother who was Rebecca. Thus she now
has a basset named after her and a great granddaughter so she wasn't as forgotten as
she thought.
Well the old Airedale Poppa was 10 and missing Dazey so much (she never seemed to
miss HIM  when he was gone) that he was just sleeping.  Well after sixweekold Miss Becky
arrived it was 'round and round the house with Miss Becky nipping at his heels'.  He never
bit her but am sure he was tempted. She adored him and added two years to his life re exercise.
Then there was day I was cleaning fridge and had hip replaced so I couldn't get up very well
and she kept stealing the cleaning cloth and I'd have to call Apollo to help me up and get
her. She was also very adept at opening the fridge door if a towel was on handle.
I constantly moved including provinces and she was always there and  adapted easily. When
we moved to Airdrie a young girl with a pug (she was the only dog he liked) asked me
'how do they do in a new place'. I said 'they don't care as long as the slave is there' and it
certainly proved true with her many moves. Actually I was staying with a son  once (very stress
related) till my place was finished and down he comes one day and loudly states  "Becky peed. in corner of
my office".I said 'no she wouldn't do that'.  He said 'of course not I did it'.  Was going to say 'shame
on you' but Miss Becky and I went for a walk instead. Still think that's funny - pompous so and so.
Fifteen years of having her with her pancreatitis, intusseption at age 2 and the wart growths
on her eyes (please get them off when you first see them) they keep growing and bleeding
and in Airdrie they could've been done by laser but I didn't know they'd keep growing especially
under her eyelids'.
Having her for 15 years makes it so hard to let her go cuz she would rally back from intusseption
age 2, Pancreatitis age 10 and the heart last month but rallied there until Monday she quit eating
and didn't seem to be good but still walking. She just wouldn't give up. The pills for her heart
were to either kill her or get her better and she did rally but the vet who saw her and mine said
I was very lucky to have her for another 10 days and a warning. I told her I'd see her again and
she knows that's true cuz I was in hospital a lot lately and I always came back.eventually.
In March one morning she looked at me as if to say 'who are you' where am I and very bewildered
and that was day we went to emergency vet at 8 pm. And I thought it was her back but no it was her
heart and one foot was dragging and both paws were bent under.
I just want to thank everyone who drooled me. I tried to answer but gave up.  And also thank you all
for donating to her 'First Giving page for Daphneyland'.  Senior dogs are so special and grateful
to someone taking them in. Becky wasn't one of them without a home  but old Bassets are so sweet
and loyal and grateful!.
She said she is having a ball up there with all her friends one being her lawyer for her speeding
tickets and table dancing escapeds Sir Rhett-  but so many names tried to remember but
can't.
Thank you all again and if anyone has any questions about pancreatitis, Addisons, Thyroid I know
and those wartlike growths on eyes.  She had one on her ear that caused a horrible 2 month infection.,
We had that one taken off with mild sedative, freezing and three holding her. Her eyes are too
dangerous.
My vet is astounded at how loyal drool members are and why she wrote the first note cuz I couldn't.
She too was in tears and when I went out to sign a paper another one stayed by her head and talked
to her. I honestly think she was so tired too
The support I got from you all is  amazing and thank you..
Excuse typing, punc marks etc.

Georgie and Miss Becky
.