[Dailydrool] Update on Mango

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Tue Apr 14 13:41:20 PDT 2009

Hi all,
We send healing drool to everyone who needs it! I have so much I'm swimming in it - I got Kirby, the St. Bernard foster yesterday afternoon and he had a bit of a URI. Talk about drool!!! He is gorgeous and so sweet though..just a love. It's really great to have a Saint around here again. He really reminds me of Miss Maggie, and I was just sitting with him last night, rubbing his belly and crying....sigh...

Anyway, on to Mango. She is a real doll and doing so well. Very spunky and getting settled here with everyone. She came upstairs for the first time last night and slept with me. She is very good and comes right over when she sees me get the rags and bowl of hot water to clean her shoulder and let me do her nails this morning without a peep.

The bad news is we are finding more health problems..turns out she is Lyme positive, but we will wait to start the doxycycline until her other antibiotics are finished. She has a severe heart murmur, so in preparation for her surgery to remove the mast cell tumors and lipomas, we got some xrays. She has a very abnormal stomach and dilated espohagus. Not clear what is going on - could be a foreign body, tumor, mega esophagus, or a neurologic disorder keeping her from moving food out of her stomach. We can't do the other surgery until this is sorted out. She will fast for12 hrs and get another xray to see if it still looks abnormal, and if so, she will need a scope and biopsy or foreign body removal, depending on what is found.

New England Basset Hound Rescue has been great! They stepped right up when I called and told them about Mango, and supportive so far with her care. She is a happy active little houndette, and deserves time to be loved and comfortable, so NEBHR is trying to get her the care she needs, even though she is 10 years old. Animal control was going to euthanize her as "unadoptable". I have set up a FirstGiving page with hopes that maybe some droolers can spare a dollar or two to help an old girl get the medical care she needs. After years of neglect, I want her to know there are people who love her.

http://www.firstgiving.com/bassetmango

Thanks to all the droolers out there - I know everyone helps where they can, and every penny that comes in will go to Mango's care and means so much.

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney (the zipper is gone, but the good food keeps coming!), Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango (I get lots of good food too!)
Ace, Maya, Sage, Kirby (achoo!)