[Dailydrool] Microchip registration, and play/movie re-enactment

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 14:30:08 PDT 2009

I agree with Bev; microchips are invaluable. In the past few years, my husband and I have found 4 lost/escaped, wandering dogs; all turned out to be chipped and all were re-united with their families. In our state (Hawaii), owners also register the chips with the Hawaii Humane Society, which keeps the chip numbers in its computer. All vet offices scan, and by phoning the Humane Society can access the chip registry. The state also runs a microchip month, during which participating vets will install microchips for only $5 per animal. It is a quick, painless procedure. Plus, all animals entering the state are required to be microchipped, as are all animals living on military bases, so micro-chipping is the norm among pet owners. It is common to hear of cats re-united with their owners several years after disappearing, when their paths eventually cross the path of the Humane Society. I am sure that micro-chipping saves many of these animals' lives.

Secondly, thought I'd share a cute new occurrence on our block. I have written several times about Harley's chihuahua girlfriend, Ruby, who sneaks under our fence every morning (and occasionally in the middle of the night) and through our dog door to join our basset pack for the day while her owners are away. One of the people in Ruby's household is a little boy probably about three years old. Ruby's people now know where to find Ruby if she is not at their home when they get there--i.e., at my house. They are still too shy, for some reason, to come up to my door when they are looking for her, however, despite my having extended a sign language-ish invitation to do so. (They do not speak English and I do not speak Spanish).

Now, think "Streetcar Named Desire" with Stanley bellowing "STELLAaaa!" outside the house, or Rocky at the end of his fight bellowing "AaaaaaDRIENNE!"  This is what the little boy does, around 6-ish when Ruby's clan comes home. One of the grown-ups in Ruby's household walks the little boy to the sidewalk directly in front of my house, where he stands and starts bellowing: "RUBEeeeee!"

Ruby jumps up, wherever she is in my house, barking wildly. I let her out the front door and she runs to the little boy. The owner snaps on a leash and home they go. with two bassets ahrooing goodbye out the screen door.