[Dailydrool] Kirby needs drool

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 15:21:20 PDT 2009

Kirby, the St. Bernard I got as a foster a few days after pulling little Miss Mango from the shelter needs drool. I'm trying to recycle his own drool to use on him, but it's not enough. He came with a URI, snotty nose, and 104* fever last Monday. He was on antibiotics and better that night and the next day. Temp went back up a bit, down a bit, then Weds it was back to 104, by the time we got to the vet it was 105.1. He got a shot of penicillin and change to Clavimox . A bit better that evening, and down to 101.8 by Thurs am. Back up a little on Thurs, a little more Fri am, and still climbing, until I called and rushed him to the vet at 10:30 last night - temp 107.2 with bloody pus coming from his nose. He spent the night there, packed in ice with fans on him. This morning it was down to 103 and I picked him up to take out to Tufts vet school. At 2:00 he was 104.4. He is staying there and the vet's suspicions are 1)foreign body - stick, piece of bone, etc in nose or sinus, 2)tumor or polyp in sinus, 3) aspergillosis (fungal infection in sinuses). He will be getting IV fluids, a CT scan and an endoscopy to look up there. A foreign body can be removed surgically. If it's a tumor, possibly radiation, but not much that can be done, and if it's the fungal infection they drill a hole in his head ( trephination ) and inject antifungal medication daily for some period of time. At this point, none are great options. And the rescue has limited funds but is going ahead with the diagnostics. We may not know for a while and I doubt they are doing the CT emergently , and tomorrow being Sunday, and Monday is Patriot's Day, a Massachusetts holiday where everything is closed, it may not happen until Tues. Though, with temps in the 107 range, he may buy the emergent scan. He is exceptionally sweet and in spite of being so sick, is very gentle and patient with the hounds, lets Kahuna climb on him and even tries to play. I hope this is something that can be fixed (and we have the money to do it). He deserves a chance to get better.

My vet is considering an award for the client who brings in the most medical anomalies in one week. At this point, I am the recipient.

Many thanks! I really want my sick babies to get well and I know the drool will help.

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango, coming attraction Bodhi
Ace, Maya, Sage
Kirby, the sick Saint