[Dailydrool] Bassets and electric fencing

Max Becker maxwellqsmartypants at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:57:54 PDT 2009

I had invisible fencing and I loved it. BUT, two very big warnings.  One is
that, while your dog is in, you can't keep anything else out.  Lizzie was
attacked by two pit bulls while she was being good in her yard.  It ended
fine, but I was not a fan of invisible fencing that day.  The second is that
accidents happen.  Batteries run out, funny things happen to the wires,
stuff just happens, no matter how hard you try to prevent it.  It is
possible that the dogs can get out. And, yes, I know this happens with
traditional fences too. But, it's something to think about.  My parents'
dog, Ike, knows better than they do just how long his battery lasts.  Mom
gets occasional calls from the neighborhood that her "boy" is across the
road.  It's also not very good when you have visiting dogs.

It was the only option for that yard. And, I did love it because the yard
was completely open.  But, I moved to a new house and have a 6 foot privacy
fence.

Given the option, I would probably go with a nice privacy fence or a pretty
iron one over invisible fencing.  There are just too many things that can
happen.  And, I would have never thought I would be saying that!