[Dailydrool] Kirby still sick

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Tue Apr 21 07:41:57 PDT 2009

Kirby is still quite ill. They can't get his temperature below 104* and he remains in the ICU on oxygen. They are changing his antibiotics again (the 5th one) to doxycycline. They said they've had good luck with that for resistant pneumonias and the imipenem is $300/dose, so we are trying this with hopes it will work! Cytology doesn't show signs of a fungus, so that is good. Just an antibiotic resistant pneumonia. They are also taking more xrays to be reviewed by a radiologist to make sure there isn't an abscess in the lungs (empyema) that needs to be drained. Judy from Saint Rescue will be visiting him this afternoon and she said the vet told her everyone at Tufts is making special visits to ICU just to visit Kirby and they are all in love with him. It's good to know he is making friends, but I really want him back home!

Thanks for the drool and good wishes. At least he hasn't gotten worse, and we hope that soon he will be much better!

And Mango is holding her own. No vomiting yesterday and she actually ate quite a bit throughout the day. Thanks again to all who have contributed to her firstgiving page. We have raised lots of money and are approaching our goal, and whatever the findings we should be able to get the care she needs. I may even be able to fund some of the food and expenses for her here at home! http://www.firstgiving.com/bassetmango

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time.
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango, and Bodhi in transit
Ace, Maya, Sage
and Kirby, reporting in from the ICU