[Dailydrool] Leash vs harness

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Tue Apr 21 08:02:58 PDT 2009

I have some strong opinions on this subject.  (but then, I have
strong opinions on most subjects, i guess ;-) Anyway, I am oposed to the
use of the harness at all.  Harnesses encourage pulling.  there
is a reason sled and carting dogs (and horses) wear harnesses.  They
make pulling easier and more comfortable.  Therefore, unless you wish
to be dragged wherever you go, don't use a harness.  Instead, TRAIN
the dog, using an appropriate training collar.  I spent over 20 years
as an obedience instructor so I feel qualified to talk about training,
although I am of the old school that included consequences, not just
rewards.  When I train, I use a chain slip collar which is ONLY used
for training, never left on the dog.  In some cases I will use a
pronged collar on a particularly stubborn dog so I do not need to make
repeated corrections which the dog is  inclined to ignore.  (if
you think prong collars are inhumane, they are not.  When I taught
obedience classes I routinely put a collar on my arm and demonstrated that
even a strong correction was not harmfull.  And sweet STUBBORN
Tuesday ATB was so unfazed by the prong collar that she pulled so hard
agaginst it that she broke a perfectly good leash !!)  Teach your dog
to walk when adn where YOU want to go.  Feel free to use treat
rewards for successfull behavior.  If he is not food motivated, he
will become food motivated if food is withheld for one day, and then the
next day, his food is used as training rewards only.  Rewards, NOT
bribes.  No correct behavior, no treat/food.  In several short
training sessions, a fairly large amount of kibble can be used as
rewards.  the remainder can be given as a meal after training is
completed for the day.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT
WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec
Bassets at www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at
www.bbrescue.org