[Dailydrool] Leashes vs. harnesses

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:14:00 PDT 2009

As for the pulling with a harness, they do make anti-pull harnesses. We use
them all the time at the shelter I volunteer at, especially with the pitt
bull mixes (darn are they strong!!) They're basically a normal harness, but
only have 1 strap in front on the chest w/a ring on it, one behind the front
paws & one around the back. You connect the leash to the front ring (we also
use martingale collars, so the combination is pretty effective. With the
ring in the front, it's similar to a gentle leader, in that the dog can't
pull you, as they can only walk forward if they are next to or behind you.
(It's also doesn't rile up pups the same way a gentle leader does. My last
trainee was a 7-ish yr. old super sweet pitt-mix girl, she hated the gentle
leader so much she flatt pittied and wouldn't budge. She wasn't keen on the
harness at first, but it didn't restrict her movement, and after about 20
mins. she was fine with it.

Another option is a fabulous thing we found at our local pet expo last year,
it's called bun-gee pup-pee leash. It's basically made out of braided bungee
cords, but it's a great product!! http://www.bungeepupee.com/ The leash
actually stretches out if the dog pulls, and they can't hold it in that
state for long, so they will stop pulling. I've had mine for a little over a
year, taken it to waddles in 2 states, for numerous trips, etc. really put
it through the ringer, and it still solid! They're a well made unit! (my
dad's worked in manufacturing for longer than I've been alive; I showed him
the bun-gee pup-ee I bought, and he said the clasp alone was worth the
money!) And no, I'm not affiliated w/the company in any way, I just think
their product is amazing! Not only does it teach the dogs not to pull, it
saves the human's shoulder as well!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473