[Dailydrool] Electronic fences; pulling on walks and fostering

Dossey, Gwenda G gdossey at tycoelectronics.com
Wed Apr 22 04:03:46 PDT 2009

First, I want to send my deepest sympathies to everyone who lost a basset recently and I've had the girls slinging healing drool for all the sick 4-leggers out there!!  We hope you are all better soon!!

About electronic fences, my sister's lab learned that if she ran fast enough, it only stung for a second, so it didn't work for her.  Demi would come and go as she pleased!!  She would also bring friends home with her!! :)

Teddi doesn't pull when we walk; she's usually pulling up the rear making sure that everyone is still with us.  However, she stops to smell the pee-mail all the time, so she pulls back not wanting to continue forward!!  Thank doG for the Martingale collar as she's never pulled out of it!!  My Madden came to us wearing a harness, so we just continue to use it on her.  She's learning to the left and to the right; to get back on the sidewalk when told; to slow down when she's going too fast; to wait when we get to the curb and to cross on demand, but she's also learning to spread her feet out and lean backwards when she wants to stop and smell something on our walks (or heaven forbid, eat poop!! YUCK!!)!!  It never ceases to amaze me how a 45 pound basset can not be moved by a much heavier 2-legger when she puts her mind to it!!  :)

As for fostering, I always have a hard time when they go to their forever home!!  It doesn't matter if I've had the dog for a day or a several weeks, I always cry when they leave!!  My husband seems to think that this is not the right "job" for me, but I know we are doing these hounds so much good that I will foster whenever we can!!  Madden was supposed to be with us just for a week or two while they found her a "real" foster home, but after the first day, my husband told her that she could stay if she wanted to.  Apparently she did 'cuz she's still with us (June 8th will be 2 years!!).  It's been wonderful seeing her personality come out and watch her learn to play with toys and now the girls!!  I can't wait for the day when we go to a play date and she plays well with other dogs!!

~Gwen - Slave to Tatum (atb), Teddi, Casper, Sadie Jean (atb 5/2/07) and Madden~
Dogster Pages:
Tatum: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=2769&j=t
Teddi: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=2773&j=t                                                                Casper:http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=2775&j=t                                                                                                                                                                Sadie Jean:http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php? i=3464&j=t<http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?%20i=3464&j=t>                                                                                                                                                           Madden: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/562679