[Dailydrool] Harness vs. collars - A STRONG OPINION

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Wed Apr 22 10:41:32 PDT 2009

I also agree with Becky (CBL) 1000%.  In most of cases I've known of, the dog (any breed, not just bassets) needed to be leash trained. A dog who is properly leash trained should not pull or drag you around. Go watch any breed at a dog show. If the dogs have been properly trained they move on a loose lead with a slip collar or martingale leash. Other than a puppy, very rarely do you see a dog lunging or pulling on the end of a leash at a dog show. If all those people can do it so can everyone else.

There are issues that can be brought up about either the use of a harness or use of a collars. Many dollars have been spent by owners, trainers, etc. to attempt to deal with this issue when if any dog is properly trained there wouldn't be an issue.

One thing I do know for sure, is the large amount of money it cost me to treat a dog that had been wearing a harness instead of a collar that caused a pinched nerve in his shoulder. Acupuncture and treatment ran into the thousands. Nevermind the time spent to retrain this dog. None of my dogs wear a harness except when tracking. A tracking harness is not a control device and the dog needs to be leashed trained before he/she is put in one.

Someone mentioned glaucoma devleoping due to hard pulling on a collar. I would think that would be due to an extreme situation with years of that going on or being chained or tethered on a daily basis which should not be happening anyway. Another thing I would like to mention here is that most harnesses don't fit the dog properly let alone fit right on a basset.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets