[Dailydrool] Name suggestion, and two hounds are better than one

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 20:53:33 PDT 2009

How about "Peeps" (as in have your peeps call my peeps about lunch?) or "Peep" for the new flying purple people eater. More dignifified than PeePee, I agree!

We got our second basset to keep our first basset company. Our first baset, Bo, is an extremely timid creature who also had separation anxiety. The addition of Harley solved both of Bo's  problems, for the most part. Bo follows Harley's lead--Harley is fearless, so Bo uses him kind of like the kings of old used taste-testers to detect poisoned food: If Harley tries something and survives, then Bo can try it. Harley's company also helped Bo not feel so alone if we left the house. We were amused to listen to the Dog Whisperer's advice that the second dog to enter a household should be a lower energy than the first one. Had we followed Cesar's advice, we would have needed to add a dead dog to the household, I fear. Harley's higher energy level has actually energized Bo a bit.

What we did not count on was that Harley's separation anxiety was much more severe than Bo's ever was (Harley was a veteran of six prior homes; chaining outside and neglect). We have had to work pretty hard to get Harley over his separation anxiety. We did not add a third dog. I can't quite imagine how I would easily walk two, scratch two, sleep with one on each side of my legs, and so forth, since I've only two arms and two legs. But I suspect it's do-able, since so many Droolers seem to manage so well.