[Dailydrool] Hounds and new Babies

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:40:34 PDT 2009

For the couple having the baby and worried about the dog' s reaction, I hope you keep the basset.  We had our first two bassets for three years before our first son was born.  I t never ocurred to us to get rid of the dogs.

Sassy and Daisy were our first kids but they went with the flow when the boys were born.  The boys played with them, "rode" them, chased them and hugged them.  If the girls got tired of the activity, they simply moved to another spot or another room.

My oldest son had his senior pictures taken with Sunny, the crabbiest basset on Earth.  They are beatiful.  She even smiled for the occasion, sort of.  Children and animals belong together, at least in our house.

My youngest son, Nic, sleeps with Maggie and Shelby, brushes them, bathes them, clips their nails, and feeds them.  Shelby, who is our foster, is so attached to Nic that she somes and gets him when it is time to go to bed and makes little mooing noises.  He carries her up the stairs every night.  He also brings Ninja up to us if she is still downstairs.  They love the cuddles and the ride.

While the bassets get a lot out of being with the kids, the boys have gotten so much more.  hey love animals, are patient with them, worry when they don't feel well, laugh at their antics, and have learned that a little dog hair and drool won't hurt them.  A lot of love runs both ways.

Drool and snooters for those in need.

Ninja-I loves bedtime and taking my half out of the middle.

Marley-I AM the troll under the bed and don't you forget it.

Maggie-You mean da big human and the short fat mammal have to share the bed too?!

Shelby-I loves beddies and treats and rides up the stairs and treats and cuddles and treats and belly rubs and did I mention treats?????????????

Mom who wishes she could have a whole herd of bassets.