[Dailydrool] Adding a baby to the mix!

Brandie Allen hnddg221 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 08:48:37 PDT 2009

I have some questions in regards to bringing home an infant and introducing to the pack.  I am not due until Sept. but I would rather be fully prepared.

I am mostly worried about Rusty.  He was a rescue from Tri-State back in 2002 and he's a wonderful "big" boy.  He wighs about 85 lbs, but don't tell him that, he thinks he is a 5 lb. lap dog!  He is very protective of those in his house, he doesn't participate in the Basset 500, instead will bark at Mugzy and Stewie and try to block Stewie from getting Mugzy, he likes to protect his big brother.

He is a "talker" and will growl and grumble if you try to get him to do something he doesn't like, such as getting off the couch, moving over on the bed or even when you give him hugs, but he has never snapped during any of those times.  He enjoys when people come over, he see's it as another lap to lay on, but, the problem is, he steals things...

He has gotten better over the years as he no longer steals remotes, cell phones or books.  But he does still like to steal laundry, food, mail off the table.  If you try to just take it from him, he will growl, snarl and snap.  Unfortunately, we have both been bite by him, only once, but that was really enough for either of us.  Forget it, if has gotten a hold of food or a live animal in the backyard.  It is a lost cause and best to just let him have whatever it is.  With the other things we can trade for a treat and he is much more interested in the treat then the odd sock or paper.

So my concern, is when the baby is here and actually mobile, I don't want him taking stuff from the baby and then the baby getting bite if he tries to take it back.  I know I have a long time before that happens, but I just don't want to take the chance.  I know we should never leave the baby and the dogs alone, but accidents do happen.  I will not give Rusty up, no matter what, but I don't want to have to keep them seperated, he is a part of the family.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much and sorry so long!

Brandie, owned and operated by Mugzy, Rusty and Stewie