[Dailydrool] Pw. Tasselhoff's bday - long

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:07:53 PDT 2009

  As Alice posted, yesterday was Pw. Tasselhoff's birthday and calendar day. Thank you for the bday wishes Alice!! If anyone would like to see the picture she is talking about where Tas is teaching Fizban to howl, email me off list and I'll send it to you. LoL it's hard to believe that Fiz was ever smaller than Tas.

   I can't believe my boy is ten! I first saw him when he was one day old and he fit in the palm of my hand. When his litter was born his breeder called me and told me that the puppies had been born but she was disappointed for me because all the puppies were dark and I was hoping for a red and white male. I told her that it didn't matter, I would love any puppy I brought home. She called me back later and told me that one more puppy had been born and that she knew this puppy was the one meant for me. He wasn't red and white, but he was an open tri and much lighter than the rest of the puppies.

   I went for a hour and a half drive the next day to see all the puppies, telling myself the entire time to keep an open mind, observe the puppies and not take the open tri just because of his color. Funny thing, even though he was born last, the open tri was the biggest pup in the litter. The runt had actually been born first. We laughed and decided that he had kicked the other puppies out of the womb and had just hung out with mom for some mother/son bonding time.

   The puppies got older and I visited several times. I kept watching them all and telling myself I wasn't going to choose a pup just because of his color. I watched all the males and tried to picture myself with each one of them. I could do that, with all of them. What I couldn't do was picture myself without the open tri, I kept wondering what would happen to him if I didn't take him. One day the breeder called and said that she had a little boy who wanted the open tri if I didn't take him (I had first choice). The little boy was going to make the pup his fishing buddy.  Of course when it came down to it, the open tri was Pw. Tasselhoff Burfoot, CGC, ITA, he is my fishing buddy and he was meant to be mine from the moment he entered this world.

   I brought him home and he fit right in with my first basset, Flint. They got along right away and never had any issues. He house trained immediately, only had one wet accident in the house, and his idea of chewing things up was to take the shoelaces out of shoes. While Flint was alive he stood back and let Flint be THE dog, when Flint died he stayed by my side and let me cry buckets of tears in his fur. When he was five I bought a house and we moved, I thought he needed a friend so Fizban entered our lives. I was wrong, Tas wanted to be an only dog. He took out his anger on me, not Fiz. He gave me the silent treatment for 3 months, he really was angry! Finally I sat down with him and apologized for getting Fiz. I told him that I thought he would want the company during the day while I was at work, but I was wrong and I was sorry. However, Fizban was here to stay, I promised Fiz that this was his forever home just like I had promised Tas and I wasn't going back on my promise, so Tas had better get used to it.

   That was the end of the silent treatment. He took Fiz under his paw and became his big brother. Tas taught him to howl and house trained him. He taught him not to be afraid of fireworks and which smells are the really great ones. Fiz still looks to Tas if he is afraid or uncertain of a situation. Tas is the most easy going, gentle dog I have ever been around. He loves everyone and takes everything in stride. He trained me almost with out my knowing he was doing it (except for the bacon episode, that was obvious). He is my fishing buddy and friend, he is Fizban's big brother and protector. He has been a therapy dog and source of unconditional love to dozens of children at Primary Children's Residential Treatment Center. I thank God for sharing him with me every single day. Happy Birthday sweet Pwince, the momslave loves you!

Mary, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban