[Dailydrool] adding baby to the mix

kaq1230 at comcast.net kaq1230 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 25 15:25:13 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have 3 bassets and a 14 month old at home, and I understand your concern.  Rosco was/is a resource guarder...mostly food.  I worked with him on the leave it command and so long as I have a "better" offer in hand, all is well.  Actually I think having a 2-legger around has made his guarding better, how lucky and unusual for me.  He no longer guards dropped items, I just tell him leave it and he does, high value items: bullysticks, marrow bones, rawhide I would have to have a chicken carcass to trade for him to give those up willingly.  Be thankful that you are getting warned by the growl!!!  My advice, work on the leave it command, and also take a look at Brenda Aloff's books, I found those very helpful.  Prior to the 2-legger becoming mobile I worked on having all the dogs back away from "pressures" instead of growling, freezing and other less desirable behaviors.  It was actually pretty easy to teach and it works very well, if they don't want to interact with the baby, they move away.  I also try very hard to not let the baby touch the dogs unless they seem okay through body language and at any stress sign: licking lips, yawning, freezing, I immediately stop the baby and give the boys TONS of praise for using their communication skills.  I also don't allow the baby to give them toys if he gives it to them it is theirs a lesson he will learn the hard way, or bother them when they sleep, i figure an ounce of prevention in these instances is worth it.  I do let the baby give the boys treats as they all seem to love this, and they all have pretty gentle mouths with treat taking.  Good luck!!!  I know it is daunting, but you are aware and I think that will help you tremendously!

Karen
Rosco, Lemmy adn Stewie