[Dailydrool] catalpa tree and sick basset?

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:08:58 PDT 2009

Ok, Maggie (our almost 9 1/2 year old senior) appears to be getting ill
again. It happens in the springish time, but worse in the fall around
September. We removed all of our shrubs from our yard, we have no flowers in
the back yard, we do not take her to common dog areas, nor on walks often,
and she is up to date on vaccinations, heartworm negative, etc. My question
is--does anyone have a Catalpa tree and a basset that grazes and is fine by
it?  Our neighbor's tree has shed its bean pods and they are crusty and they
come onto our side of the fence. My husband has raked twice and picked them
up by hand another time so it is not like we do not try to remove them. Not
sure if they are the issue. Is it possible? That is all we can figure out as
a vegetation issue.
Maggie is back to blood in her stool, some diarrhea, some grass in her stool
(again). She had pancreatitis in September or October that she almost did
not make it through. She was in the vetspital and he said if we did not get
fluid into her that day he did not think she would have made it. Most other
times he called it colitis.  I boiled hamburger to add to her kibble. She
has refused food one night, but has eaten, is barking, moving around, still
eating poo (even her own--nasty-which we try to prevent again), drinking
fine, no belly distention, no signs of pain, but is more tired and slower.
 It appears that this kind of thing happens to her a few times a year.  The
vet nor I have no explanation. She is fed Blue Buffalo Chicken and
(something) Rice in the blue and cream bag and does not get any human food
except for fat free plain yogurt, canned pumpkin and the occasional bit of
cheese if I am slicing some up. The reason I mention this is for
pancreatitis reasons. Her blue buffalo has 14% fat, but the vet has never
mentioned trying a low fat brand as the pancreatitis has only happened once.
I read online about it could occur again, etc. Anyhow--any thoughts or
knowledge to share?
Thank you,

--
DRool to all in need,