[Dailydrool] Older dog

Tim Mayer tcm541 at embarqmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:43:17 PDT 2009

All the comments recently about the age of their dogs has led me to thinking
more about my loving old guy, Beethoven. He's probably 14 or 15 now, and
almost totally deaf. He likes long walks less now, and is slower most of the
time now too, but is in really good health otherwise. The vet says he still
has a lot of life left in him.

This fella has been with me through some of the worst times of my life,
never failing to make me smile. And I was thinking recently that it's been
years since we took a trip to the coast together. He loved running up and
down the beach, digging in the sand, and making a mess of the car. So I'm
thinking that early this summer I'll load him into the car and get him back
out there for a visit. I don't know if he has retained fond memories of
those younger days, but I sure have. And if he does remember, maybe getting
back there will let him know just how special he is to me.

Typically I take Maggie on my trips. She has some issues with separation
anxiety, and the people who stay with my dogs when I'm gone find her to be a
little troublesome. But this time, she stays home, and my grand old "best
friend" gets to go instead.

Tim, with Beethoven, Maggie and Dreamer