[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:32:39 PDT 2009

Hi all,

   I'm wondering what experiences you all have had with soft e-collars after surgery on the face.

  Saturday I found a lump on Fizban's face near his cheekbone. I took him to the vet on Monday and he has a cancerous tumor. The vet feels like his prognosis is good. We caught it early and he doesn't think it has spread. Fiz is having surgery on Wed (5/6) to have it removed. The vet is concerned about how it may be affecting nerves and blood vessels but doesn't think it has gone into the bone. If it has gone into the bone things look bleak. Needless to say I'm extremely worried about him but trying to stay optimistic. The vet seemed to feel pretty good about things so I'm trying to take my cues from him.

   Fiz will probably have a shunt in when he is released and will definitely need an e collar. Fiz belongs to Miss Angela's school of thought and believes bassets should NAKED. He doesn't like to wear anything so I know he is really going to hate the e collar. I've looked at the archives and searched online and it seems like most alternate e collars are to prevent the dog from getting at the body not the face. Right now I think the thing that will work best is a soft e collar, called a comfy cone (http://tinyurl.com/dlhvmv) If anyone has used this I would like to know how it worked out for you or if anyone knows of something that has worked better that would be awesome too.

  Also if you would sling Fizban some stay-away-from-the-bone drool and keep us in your thoughts and prayers, especially on the 6th I sure would appreciate it.

Mary, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban