[Dailydrool] Stella's tail

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Thu Apr 30 05:12:20 PDT 2009

Stella has what we in my house call "wager-itis".  Of course, that is not the technical term, but she essentially has a sprained tail.  It is pretty common, especially after they have gotten wet.  It will go away in a few days.  Many people with hunting dogs notice this when the dog has gotten wet and the tail might have gotten a chill.  There may be some swelling in the affected area of the tail and there may be some muscle tightness in the area.  My dogs stay outside during the day all year around, and even though they have insulated dog houses and pals to snuggle with, they all have had this on occasion.  It hurts like the dickens for a day or two, but you will see the recovery progress by how high they carry their tails.  It takes about a week to heal completely.  After a few days, when the sensitivity has gone down, mine like a gentle massage on the area.  Remember, the tail is an extension of their spine, so just like you can get a kink in the neck, they can get one in the tail.

I hope she feels better soon!
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!