[Dailydrool] Buford, OEBE Garbagemeister Extraordinaire--not well

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Thu Apr 30 20:50:00 PDT 2009

Dear Friends,

I've hardly had any time to read the DD--barely been skimming these
last couple of months.  I know there are so many hounds in need of
drool and far too many who have gone on to the bridge....but I need
to beg for some drool to be sent toward Delaware.

The last 24 hours have been brutal.  Buford bloated last night
(Wednesday night) around midnight...he immediately threw up the
contents of his stomach and the bloat subsided.  And then about an
hour later he woke up, coughed, started gagging and sucking in air.
Vomited again; bloat subsided again.  This went on all night.  I
should have scooped him up and raced to the emergency vet but each
time I really believed he was out of the woods.

This morning (Thursday AM) I took him to our regular vet where he
stayed all day.  He was given an injection of Cerenia to help stop
the vomiting and the urge to vomit, IV fluids (he was dehydrated) and
Xrays were taken.  He did not twist; all his blood work came back
PERFECT (at least we know the Cushings is truly undercontrol); and he
managed to keep a small meal down.  I picked him up at 5 PM and we
headed home.

I just returned from the Veterinary Specialty Center of Delaware
where I left my baby for emergency care.  All the gagging and
coughing and bloating started again--cash flow be damned, I HAVE to
help my boy!  They will be doing more XRays on his abdominal area as
well as his chest (the coughing/gagging is raising eyebrows); an
ultrasound because when the Cushings was confirmed by their
radiologist there as also a small spot on his spleen that did not
warrant concern back in November....but they want to make sure there
is no change.  He is also getting a full blood work up, more IV
fluids, and he will be examined by an internist in the morning as well.

I'm a wreck; Della is very restless--searching the house for her
brother right now.

So if anyone can spare some drool or a few prayers....we'll take
whatever we can right now.  Thanks everyone, and again, I'm sorry I'm
so far behind on everyone else's situations....I'll try to catch up
soon.

--heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat