[Dailydrool] Storms

Terry amzany at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 18 08:05:46 PDT 2009

For those of you who have young dogs I found out quite by accident how to help my dogs either ignore or even enjoy the storms.  When my grandson was born I didn't want him to be afraid of storms like his mother was.  I babysat him while his parents worked.  Everytime it stormed I would take him out one the porch and we would watch the watch the storm and talk about the lighting and thunder.  Of course the dogs had to go with us as they felt it was their job to be where ever the baby was.  Well the baby is 11 years old now and only our recent rescue Ollie has storm issues but since we pretty much ignore them and the other dogs do also he is starting to get over them.  He also realizes he's not going to have to be outside anymore unless he wants to and never during a storm.  I suggest as young as possible you start introducing your dogs to the bad weather by sitting out in a sheltered area such as a covered patio and petting them while talking to them about day to day things.  I know it has seemed to work no matter what the breed dog we have if we start early enough in their lives.  Our JRT always hid in the dark bathroom in the tub with a blanket we were never able to help her.