[Dailydrool] Bonding in rescues

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Sat Aug 1 19:58:34 PDT 2009

We've had the full spectrum of bonding here with all 5 bassets (all 5
were rescues).
Curie is attached to hubby.  I'm just the mean lady who feeds her,
cleans her, hunts down a life vest just for her, fixes the boo-boos,
gives the meds and reprimands her when needed.  She will whine
uncontrollably if she's with me anywhere where hubby can't be seen.  We
are her second owners but her 4th home if we include the shelter and the
foster home.
Gus is mostly tolerant of hubby but loves me, not exactly bonded
though.  I'm pretty sure he's been around the block more than a few
times.  This is at least his 3rd or 4th home and he did time in a
shelter up to his euthanasia day when he was saved.  Some days though I
think he's more bonded to the cats than anything else, he loves his
'kittens' (Winken, Nod and Onyx).
Kelvin is mostly attached to me, though if a big diesel truck comes by
or a large older man in a hat he's all about them.  I suspect his owner
was an older man that drove a big truck before he ended up at the
shelter.  Otherwise I hung the moon apparently.
Sally and Schroeder are in their second home, though this is only a
foster home for them.  Schroeder will bond to whoever gives him a treat,
seriously.  Sally could care less who the humans are as long as
Schroeder leaves her alone most of the time and Kelvin at least attempts
to play with her.  ( anyone looking for an older basset????  Both Sally
and Schroeder are ready for adoption!!)

Carmen