[Dailydrool] Catching things and neighbors.

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 10:09:13 PDT 2009

 Hi everyone,
Watson is on the recovery path, but we're certainly aware that we're in for
the long haul. Today Watson is a bit tired and slow. I don't know if it's
just a lazy Sunday or if he's not feeling well. He still has his appetite so
at least that's good. The vetlady told me to watch him for vomiting,
diarrhea(duh!), and loss of appetite. As far as I'm aware, all we have still
is diarrhea. The drool worked last night as we celebrated a some no liquid
bowel movements, but today we're back to a lathargic hound, so I'm guessing
he's not better yet. Oh well.

As far as capturing things, the bird was not Watson's first "catch" - its
just the first one he actually got to eat. The most unusual thing I've ever
discovered is fish. Little silver dead fish. I was curious one morning why
Watson would not stop barking, and why Daisy (my parent's dog) was snarling
at him in the backyard. I went out, and lo and behold they were fighting
over fish! Imagine my surprise and complete dumbfoundeness. I confiscated
the fish and then went inside. 5 minuttes later, they were snarling over
another fish! Now, one fish was surprising enough - we live in Colorado, a
land locked state, our backyard has no pond or water feature with fish in
it, and we live nowhere near a lake. After confiscating the second fish, yet
another appeared about 10 minutes after that. I thought that someone was
playing tricks on me - or that fish were just appearing out of the ground. I
decided to sit in the kitchen and observe the dogs to figure out where the
fish came from. After staking out the backyard I discovered that a neighbor
must have either decided to compost or fertilize using these fish, a
squirrel found them and thought he had found a "treasure", and then had been
skittering along our fenceline, fish in mouth, when our dogs were alterted
to the squirrel's presence. Our dogs went to chase and bark at the squirrel,
and in order to get away from our insane pack, the squirrel dropped the fish
into our yard - much to the dog's delight.

For a while, I wondered if a neighbor had simply dumped some poisoned fish
over the fence in order to silence our pack, but who would chooose fish do
accomplish such a feat? I figured it was an accident - since nothign like
that ever happened again. Our neighborhood is filled with dogs - we're
surrounded on all sides of our backyard with dogs, so usually all the
neighbors are thoughful enough to warn when some sort of hazard - like tree
spraying, cable man appearances or lawn fertilizing is occuring. However,
every once in a while, someone forgets or doesn't realize how their actions
will affect those around them. Luckily, fish is the worst (or best - if
you're a hound) such occurance around here.

We send our drool to those who need it.
Love and drool
Katie and Watson