[Dailydrool] Mango Gotcha 4/10/09 - ATB 8/3/09

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 08:36:47 PDT 2009

A week ago I noticed a swelling between the toes on Mango's left front foot. We thought it was an infected interdigital cyst and started Simplecef and she was getting epsom salt soaks. It was continuing to grow and increasingly painful for her, so I called the vet first thing this morning concerned that it was a tumor. With that in mind, Mango had a good breakfast with chicken chunks, a roll in the grass, and we stopped for ice cream on the way to the vetman. The mass was very firm and, without xrays or biopsy we couldn't be positive, but presumed to be an osteosarcoma. It would have required at least amputation of the toe, probably the limb. That is more surgery than I know Mango wanted, or could tolerate with her bad heart, so we helped her on to her next adventure at the Rainbow Bridge around 10:15 this morning.

I wish she'd had more than 3 1/2 months with me - I feel like I didn't give her enough - but at least she was warm and dry and well fed during that time. She did have time to grow her hair back after the tumors were removed, so she looked beautiful. I'll miss her little face with the big eyes looking up at me and her body curled on the pillow next to me at night.

Run free at the Bridge, Mango, I'm happy you won't have anymore pain - you've known way too much pain in this life.

Much love!
Synthia, so many bellies to rub (one less....), so little time,
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango ATB
Ace, Maya, Sage, Kirby