[Dailydrool] Basset Training

Thompson, Joey Joey.Thompson at bcbsne.com
Mon Aug 3 09:45:12 PDT 2009

Pesky is about 2 years old now.  She can come, sit, and stay (for up to 2 minutes longer if I give her reminders to stay).  Most of the time now she will do so even without a treat.  But it's not working too well if there are strangers around.  Even if I have an nice treat,  I'll get that defiant look as she runs off to jump on a stranger.  I found that dominating her (alpha roll, fake bite with my "hand jaws") works well.   What's a good way to train her for obedience around people?  Just practice?  When someone comes over its like I don't exists.  Though she will give into an alpha roll, as soon as I let up she is back at it.

Also, I have been training her to "track".  I thought in some rare circumstance  it may be useful for her to find my daughter.  The way this works, is my wife takes my daughter on a walk.  Pesky knows this and goes crazy.  I wait a few minutes then get out her leash and have to go find them.  She does this well.  Do you think it is realistic to teach a basset for search and rescue?  My daughter is 2 and I just thought there was no harm in trying to teach her to track her down.

Thanks,

Joey and Pesky

DISCLAIMER
This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are reading this message, but you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not disclose, print, copy, store, forward or otherwise use or disseminate the information contained in this transmission. If you have received this message in error, immediately contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original. Thank you.