[Dailydrool] Basset Legs

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:52:14 PDT 2009

The standard for bassets says they may not be over 15" tall at the shoulder. That is for a show dog. However . . .

There seems to be two distinct styles of basset. We have had both. They are the show dog style, and the field dog style. The show dogs tend to be short, stocky, very baggy, and large. The field dogs tend to be taller, leaner, not baggy, and smaller. This body style seems to be better suited for hunting.

Dewey is definitely the field type. So was Turbo. Merlin was just the opposite -  a very baggy boy (had to have a face lift so he could see out!), very short, stout, and big (70 pounds of muscle and bone, not fat). Neither of our "field" bassets met the standard.

Linda and Dewey, da tall Dude