[Dailydrool] Basset address label, Drool for Louie, Condolences

Susan Nickle snickle717 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 12:14:55 PDT 2009

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but I noticed in a Colorful Images catalog I received a month or so ago that they had some new basset address labels I hadn't seen before. They still have the 4 bassets with the fan (the fan is blowing the basset's ears); it's called Cool Bassets item number L182. But they have 2 others: Basset Time T328 which is a sitting basset pup and Long Stretch T329 a basset puppy lying down, his hind legs outstretched behind him like pups tend to do. I ordered this last one recently and it is just adorable.

Louie has me a bit worried these last few days. He's shown a slight, subtle increase in thirst and appetite the last few weeks, but this past Sat. it became significatly worse. He was incredibly hungry and quite thirsty. I called the vet yesterday morning as soon as they opened and, wouldn't you know it, our regular husband and wife vet team are on vacation all this week. I didn't want to wait a week, so I took him to the substitute vet yesterday afternoon. Louie did great with the new vet who was a very nice, knowledgeable older man. Louie has been on a low maintainence dose of methylprednisilone for years to control his inflammatory bowel disease and the vet feels that sometimes those steroid levels build up a bit too much causing the excess hunger and thirst. The urinalysis looked fine. Blood was drawn to check various things and I should be getting those results back today. Louie is no worse today, perhaps even not as hungry/thirsty as over the
 weekend. Otherwise, he's fine. But please send some spare drool to him. He's 12 so we never know what might happen; well, acutally we never know what will happen at any age, but at 12 I half expect something at any time.

Condolences to all who have suffered losses recently. Some of your tributes are so sad, but also so very sweet and loving. I think our wonderful memories are what pulls us through.

Hugs and drool to all in need,
Sue and Louie (can I have seconds, please?)