[Dailydrool] Basset discipline

erusselburg2 at aol.com erusselburg2 at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 05:29:10 PDT 2009

I call this “Yurtle the Turtle syndrome,” after the Dr. Seuss story about the turtle who feels more powerful the higher up he gets.  This is a form of resource-guarding, a very common form of dog aggression.  Dogs who have “YTT syndrome” should NEVER be allowed up on furniture or beds.  For them, height = power.  Dogs on the floor, people on the furniture.   I know this is hard to do, especially when it’s a hound who is fun to cuddle. . .I’m the worst offender letting mine up on the furniture!  But believe me, this will work.  There may come a time when your basset can get on the furniture and not have “YTT syndrome,” once she learns her proper place in the pack, and that a spot on the sofa is not her “resource” to “guard.”

I also agree 100% with the poster who said that she is growling when you approach to pet her because she’s not sure if the hand means a smack in the muzzle or a nice pat on the head.  Don’t use a physical correction for this type of aggression.  Use body language and voice, and as you suggested, take away whatever is causing the problem (bone, toy, etc).  You may also remove the dog physically from the rest of the “pack” for a short time to “cool off.”

Edy

Ironwood Hounds