[Dailydrool] Need some job drool

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sun Aug 9 07:58:44 PDT 2009

First of all, thanks again to all for the cards and messages about Mango's trip to the Bridge. I do still want to get back to everyone personally but it was a tough week.

I have been on a contract with the group I work for, not a partner, and the contract was up for renewal last week. A couple of weeks ago, they told me the may not be able to guarantee as many hours with the census down, particularly at the surgery center. Turns out, last week, I was just off that schedule with a "we'll call you if we need you". Essentially I was laid off with no notice. Happened to two other docs on contract too. They hired less expensive nurse anesthetists (four!) while telling us they didn't have hours.

I have been scrambling and while I search for another permanent position - looking at several in Vermont, but will need to interview, get licensed in the state, move - have contacted a locum tenens service (temporary coverage) and will be traveling for the next few months. I told them I couldn't be gone for more than 10-14 days at a time as the dogs will need to be kenneled and I don't want to leave them longer than that at one time without at least a week home in between. It's not ideal, but we can do it for a few months until I can settle somewhere else.

I'm making sure to call animal control in each town I am applying to make sure the dog laws will allow all the kids. I don't want to get into something or waste time interviewing if it turns out they have a 3 dog limit or something.

I hope that in about 2 weeks we can have all the paperwork done and I can start a job somewhere. I have active licenses in 3 states, so once the hospital approves the credentials, I could start work. I have one possible that is only 90 min away and would be a 3 month commitment. I hope to have a place to stay that allows me to have a couple of the hounds with me,and the president of Saint Rescue is near there, so she can probably keep Kirby and maybe Ace, so they are near me and minimize the kennel costs. As long as they agree to the rotation where I can come home every couple of weeks that would be great and cover us while I find something else.

So, we could use drool to get the right job, in the right place, and I can find a rental that takes dogs or someone selling a home that they will rent until I can sell mine and buy it, and that the hounds and big kids can tolerate the upheaval for a few months.

We send drool out to those in need...
Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl
Ace, Maya, Sage, Kirby