[Dailydrool] The mighty Calypso has Fallen

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 05:55:19 PDT 2009

?? My heart dog.....my first basset....the dog who changed my life went to the bridge late last nite.? She had been having some respiratory issues lately, and after a trip to the emergency vetspital, I brought her home and she gave in to the repsiratory issues.? My heart has been torn asunder, and Im not sure what to do.? All I know is that she is now free my that damned arthritis, breathing freely again, and hopefully enjoying the buffet atb.? A piece of my heart has died with her.
?? Calypso had been with me for 13 years since I got her as a pup.? I'll never forget the first time I saw her on the farm that she was born at.? A little taller than the other bassets, so she didnt have much promise as a hunter.? She was definitely the prettiest of the litter.? The 8 year old daughter of the farmer dragged her around by her ears.? The next day, I took this flea-infested, ear-mite laden buppy home, bathed her to get rid of the fleas.....vetted her for the earmites and a checkup......and grew to love this dog very deeply.? Over the next 13+ years, she was the only constant in my life.? Jobs (4 of them) came and went.? My exwife came and went. I moved into 5 different houses.? I had ups and downs financially.? But she was always there.? She is the reason I started reading the drool, because myself and my exwife thought that she had some real peculiar quirks for a dog.? After reading the Drool regularly, we found out that she was a true basset, from snooter to tail.? She is the reason that I rescued my other girl, Harley.? She is the reason I got involved with rescues in the first place.? Calypso represented everything that was good about me...she made me a much better person and I can never thank her enough for it.? I will probably foster or adopt a rescue in the future...when the pain subsides some.? All of this because of Calypso.

I will miss the odd ridge she had on her forehead.? I will miss the way she smelled like corn chips after laying in the sun.? I will miss the way she would lay her head in my lap and look up at me.? I will miss having to wrestle her into the bath tub.? I will miss her going into octopus mode when I tried to cut her nails.? I will even miss the 4am trips to the yard to go potty.? I will miss her mushy face and the way her leg would move when I rubbed her chest.? I will miss my precious baby-girl, the animal who made me a good person.

I though I might share a Calypso story, in her tribute:

Calypso (3YO)?was in the backyard doing her business.? It was a fenced yard with several trees.? She had been out there awhile without coming in (Door was open for her).? Both myself and the exwife grew suspicious about what she was doing.? We called her in and she came trotting in, tail held high and wagging like crazy.? We went to give her a cookie and noticed that there was something hanging out of her mouth.? It looked like a stick or something. Then we heard a little cheep.? We both raised our eyebrows after hearing another cheep.? We pried her mouth open reached in and removed a little baby bird.....no bigger than a golf ball.? The bird looked at us and cheeped several times.? Poor little thing was covered with drool, but completely unharmed (well at least physically).? We took the bird out to one of the trees, where there was a nest, and left it there.? Calypso was very upset and even indignant that we would take her toy from her.

Ill miss you Calypso sweetheart. I will always love and remember you.?

Tom

Slave to?Harley (9) and Calypso (ATB)